Monday, May 19, 2014

Fiber + Mysteries = Bouchercon 2014 Murder at the Beach

Most of you know that I am a fiber-holic. If it has to do with fiber I want to know about it, play with it, embroider with it, and otherwise understand how it was made and how to use it to its best advantage. I  embroidered and knitted when I was a child and became hooked early on. I have also read mysteries since I was a child.

I read Mary Monica Pulver's early mysteries where my medieval organization played a role. Then moved onto her Monica Ferris Needlework Store mysteries. I read Earlene Fowlers quilting mysteries and learned about the world of quilting. Then along came Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries with patterns. I had taken a break from knitting for for a few years and her easy patterns were a way back to finding something I enjoyed. There are so many more writers out there that have given us a glimpse into the fiber or fiber related worlds while spinning a good yarn.

More recently I have become immersed in the world of Mystery Reader Writer Conventions. It has been a pleasure to listen to some of my favorite authors discourse on many different topics that help make their stories all the more fascinating for me. I have met many different authors, established ones and beginning ones, with whom I have have had short or sometimes long wonderful conversations; usually at the bar. I have been handed many book bags with new to me authors and had the opportunity to attend mini events to get even more books. Unfortunately I couldn't always bring home ALL THE BOOKS, but there is a drop off/pick up table that has introduced me to even more authors work.

Besides all the books, what really stands out for me is the friends I have made and the laughter I have enjoyed attending these events. The next big one for me is Murder at the Beach http://www.bouchercon2014.com  Long Beach November 13-16, 2014. It promises to be big! There are 5 hotels all close to the event happenings. The attendees page is already close to 1000 registered and the line up of authors is awesome. I can't tell you all the fabulous plans underway, but it really promises to be a rollicking fun 4 days of happenings with so many panels and events that you will be hard pressed to choose what to do at any one time. I hope you will come join us for the fun, the people, and BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS yes I take a half empty suitcase and UPS has shipping on site!

1 comment:

Dru said...

I can't wait for Bouchercon.