Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rambling on Designing

The project is for a 2 hour Introduction to Goldwork Technique class for my chapter. They wanted something to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of EGA. They chose Goldwork and then they looked at me to provide the class (grin). Okay it is now deadline time since I need to publicize the class and set prices.

When I give a goldwork class I give each student an Altoids Tin lined with craft felt. This gives them a place to put their precious bits and a chipbox. On one of my tins I did a mini garden scene with bugs. It always gets a positive response.

In thinking about what techniques I want to cover I think I'm going to give them a butterfly design that will fit on the tin, if they want. I can have them do couching of Japanese Gold #5 on a band on the wings. Perhaps couch a circle or 2 of passing on the wings. I'd like to try to get the #50 and EGA on the wings in some format. The body will be raised with a layer of felt. I am thinking some variation on bullion work for the body - laying purls with chipwork for the head.
I'll do the butterfly and then see if I need to add something to the piece -- ie if there is too much open space. I may need to add grass or a plant. It would be fun to do with a bit of the green metal thread from B&G. I may have them outline the wings with a piece or 2 of braid from Bill Barnes too. Hmmmm.

The model needs to be done asap. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next couple days.

PS I now have my IPhone so I don't have to take a laptop to Louisville. I can do all my email and such on it. It is addictive. A friend refers to hers as her "boyfriend". I so understand.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Adventures in Dyeing

How cool is it to spin, dye and knit/weave your own yarn??????? Way cool and lots of fun too!

Okay back to West An Tir War. Bjo Griffin of Griffin Dye Works gave a workshop. The idea was to do yellow, red, and blue. The yellow I really don't remember. We started with one light yellow/gold and then redid the pot with a stronger yellow/orange.

The first red was a reused pot from the day before which had been a yellow. The red also was an unknown and the result was both light and muddy. The next red was a cochineal - got to love the bugs. We did a batch plain then with soda ash to make for a more purple red.

The blue was indigo crystals. Because of all the unknowns this form was chosen and worked very well. So here is my batch of fibers -- my own spun wool, 2 weights of wool, 1 she brought, a wool with a mylar thread, silk ribbon, silk - raw, tussah rough, tussah smooth, and floss. Yes some are overdyes and some are dipped into 2 pots.

Bjo left the bugs for me and another lady to take and use. I brought mine home and did another pot of red. This pot was a bit light and shows the result of having been in contact with the soda ash. After washing the them out, I clipped them up on a tomato trellis to dry. I left them out overnight. I found them strewn across the yard. Guess the birds and other wild animals had fun playing with the wool. They left the silk. Hmmmm

The next day I reheated the dye pot and overdyed some commercial cotton floss. The white and ecru took a little of the dye. The greens browned nicely, but so did the yellows. The grays became almost maroon. The bright blue became a wonderful rice blue.

So now I have more stash. I am thinking that my homespun needs to become a knitting or naalbinding project. We shall see. I have the lighter red, a cochineal red, and an indigo. However, now is not the time to play unfortunately. I need to prep for Purgatorio and the ceremony :) and then Louisville.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

West An Tir War News & Pelican Alert

Finally recovering from the war. I've posted all the news that is fit to print and then some on my LJ page. There are 2 posts: War and my offer to join the Order of the Pelican. The later for those not in the SCA, it is the highest service award in the organization. Very nice to be asked to join. I'll post pics of the projects soon.