Tuesday, February 03, 2004

on strike! at least as far as historical embroidery - for the moment

Decided to give myself permission to have fun with my stitching. I've been much too serious lately with my stitching and research. When something is not longer fun then it is time to stop and take a break.

I finished the smocked needlecase from the EGA meeting class. Cute. Doesn't work well as a needlecase as the top is tooooooo top heavy. The lining and felt bit for the inside were also cut too small for the final piece. It was nice that they were provided, but since everyone smocks to different tightness (especially beginners), the lining and the felt should not have been cut to "match". Oh well, we all learn as teachers over time what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking that I should not say anything as the woman's feelings may be hurt (she is that type), but the teacher in me says if no one says anything, how can we learn our mistakes.

Am working on a Sandra Murray piece - Scrumptious Stitches - Kalidoscope. Took the class at CATS a year or so ago. It is silk embroidery on velvet. All really modern interpretation although the techniques are classic. Working with Trebizond and the Kreinik metallics are a real pain in the .... The kit has patterns for 2 "mini-pillows", with suggests for the remaining 2. We shall see what develops. I have one almost done. Guess I'll have to set up a page of pics of my "modern" stuff soon.

It is really nice to know that I can control the persnickity threads and fabrics. This is a major realization. In the last year or so, I seem to have passed through a major "ability" level. I can do stuff. I can get the worst threads and fabrics to work for me. It may take a few tries, but I CAN!!!!!!! Even more, I can look at something that isn't working, whether my stuff or someone else's, and diagnosis the problem AND find solutions. In giving feedback to people in my Guild, I am really pleased that people are coming to me to ask for help and they feel that I've given them quality help. Feels really good.

No comments: